Friday, September 16, 2011

Ice-T Said It...

...and I agree.
Here's an excerpt from an article about the VH1 documentary he executive produced, Planet Rock: The Story of Hip-Hop and the Crack Generation (it airs this Sunday night):

On What’s Missing From Hip-Hop
"I want to see some little motherfuckers get together like a Public Enemy and give these fools a wake up call like, 'Fuck this jewelry and cars bullshit,' (say it AGAIN!!--GATA) and bring it back to Armageddon! Don’t get it twisted--the people that are making music now, I’m not mad at them.
People think I’m mad at pop music [but] I’m not. I’m just saying the conscious music is lacking.There’s no roots, really, and when you think about the groups that I name like the PE’s and all that, they can’t make records now because we’re not the right age. We’re the age of their parents. Kids don’t want to listen to their parents, so we accept that so I’m saying there just needs to be some-- how could KRS 1 and all of us used to be so militant at our age. Where are those kids that are gonna come out and really push the envelope? NWA did “Fuck the Police,” we were going hard, we were getting arrested. Now everybody is trying to stay in their nice little safe bubble and I miss the edgy music. That’s all I’m saying. Saying you sell drugs, that’s not edgy to me, let’s talk about some issues. Lupe fiasco does it. I’ve listened to some of his stuff. He’s not afraid but there’s a lack. I would love to be a fan of some new little bad ass cats coming out and letting mother fuckers know what’s up."
I say fxck yer age-- do that shxt anyway. They need to learn from SOMEONE. I guess that's just me.
You can read the whole article here. It also talks about a well-known swagger-jacker Ice calls out...oh, the irony.

No comments: